Navigating a Sea of Opportunity: The Detecon Digital Maturity Model
In the age of digital transformation and emerging initiatives driving digitalization, Digital Maturity Models have come into the spotlight as an excellent approach to measure the progress of digitalization within an organization. Monitoring the progress and performance and thus the success of a digital transformation heavily depends on the implementation and the right measures. Therefore, becoming a true digital leader in the market requires telco companies to be equipped with appropriate tools and approaches to accelerate digital transformation. Eventually, the overall aim is to be able to both enable and provide digital services.
The Digital Maturity Model
A Digital Maturity Model (DMM) is a business tool used to assess the current state of capabilities that exist within an organization and to develop an understanding of where these capabilities can be transformed and improved. Therefore, applying a Digital Maturity Model can help alleviate pain points and address the need for adequate and future-facing decision-making characterized by uncertainty and ambiguity. It helps organizations to assess realistically where they stand in their transformation programs and facilitates short- and long-term goals as well as the plans. On top of that, a Digital Maturity Model forces organizations to analyze and properly structure the problem that is to be addressed. Trends such as the emergence of ecosystems, SDN/NFV, DevOps, AI, IoT, Automation, Cloud Computing, government regulation and many more are driving the need to become digital.
A successful cooperation of Detecon and the TM Forum
In close cooperation with Detecon and other certified partners, the TM Forum has developed a Digital Maturity Model tailored to these needs and requirements of telecommunication operators. The objective is to establish the DMM as the de facto standard for digital transformation in the telecommunication industry worldwide. Detecon has been supporting the development of the maturity model from the very beginning and is a member of the leadership team in charge of this project. Through various projects applying the DMM, the project team was able to receive valuable feedback. Such feedback is constantly included in a continuous improvement of the model.
To evaluate digital maturity levels, organizations can evaluate sub-dimensions against 175 different criteria consisting of five states of digital maturity. In these sub-dimensions, disparities between to-be and as-is capabilities as well as the importance are identified by interviewing people across the entire organization. With one client, Detecon conducted multiple workshops and interviews with C- and VP-level representatives to assess the current state of the organization and the desired to-be picture. Detecon created a customized set of questions to capture a consistent self-assessment across senior management and generate findings within the five DMM dimensions. In order to close the evaluated gaps, the strategy and the roadmap are developed and realized. Applying the DMM has enabled the client to structure and consolidate input from various sources, identify pain points, define key areas of improvement and develop an optimal strategy.
The six-step Detecon approach
To utilize the Digital Maturity Model in digital transformation projects of communication service providers, Detecon uses a tailored six-step approach:
- Determination of current maturity level in selected business dimensions by applying DMM evaluation criteria.
- Gap Analysis
- Analysis between assessed digital maturity level, target state descriptions and importance for selected business dimensions and sub-dimensions. Identification of disparities between To-Be and As-Is Capabilities and definition of key areas in which to improve.
- Strategy Development
- Identification and prioritization of focus areas and development of a suitable and sustainable strategy with respect to the target picture. A company can choose whether it would like to set and pursue an ambitious target within one dimension or follow a more balanced course with slight improvements across multiple dimensions.
- Transformation Roadmap
- Prioritization of optimization measures using predefined criteria and development of a comprehensive digital transformation roadmap including a detailed action plan of potential initiatives with a clear goal.
- Measure of Success – KPI Framework
- Definition of a KPI Framework for the measurement of digital transformation during the execution and post-execution period across all five dimensions (Customer, Strategy, Technology, Operations, Organization & Culture).
- Project management supervision of optimization measures and progress monitoring thereof.
The model is a practical approach to provide a snapshot of the organization, identify priorities and set the trajectory for future success. From experience, we know that organizations and their representatives often have certain presumptions about what is going right and wrong but fail to structure the information. The lack of structure in turn prevents them from addressing key issues and overcoming them. This is where the DMM helps managing a company’s digital transformation by identifying the areas of an organization that should evolve first.
Strategy definitions often revolve around going digital and adjusting the business strategy – applying the Digital Maturity Model makes digital transformation more tangible and provides Management with a tool to track real-life progress within an organization’s digital transformation across various dimensions holistically.
Detecon is the leading consulting company that unites management with profound digital technology expertise. As a trusted and certified Platinum Partner with extensive industry experience, Detecon offers best-in-class management and technology consulting in the telco sector and has applied the Digital Maturity Model and assessed the digital maturity of leading communication service providers in Europe, Latin America, MENA as well as on the African continent.
“We enable our clients to achieve their digital ambitions by applying our Detecon knowledge and understanding the client’s current maturity level.”